Sunday, March 16, 2008

Weekend Update






Hi All,
I had a busy weekend. It started with Friday's adventure to San Anselmo where I met my friend Cathy for lunch at Comforts. Comforts is this really yummy cafe/restaurant and on Friday it was jammed. Right when I walked in, I ran in to an old friend Leah (who by the way runs this amazing website Tiny McSmalls) at the deli counter. I think it took her a moment to recognize me. I guess my hair defined me more than I thought. This is the second time this has happened. Yesterday I went to Target with my friend Amber and right out front we ran in to an old work friend who had a baby almost a year ago and never came back from maternity leave. I hadn't seen her in quite a while. I called her name and she looked right through me. It was weird. Not sure she knew about the cancer. She didn't say anything and we just stuck to pleasantries and all that. All in all, I guess the more I get out, the more this kind of thing will happen. I still feel so much the same inside but do realize I present a different outside figure than the usual. So anyway, at Comforts, the first thing I do after Cathy shows up and we secure a table is to go to the bathroom and change Sadie because she was making the little scrunchy wet diapie face. I'm all prepared with my fancy diaper bag in tow with the knowledge that the bathrooms at Comforts have these little antique pine tables in them, perfect for changing a baby. Everything is going great until I go to grab a new diaper and realize I didn't pack them. I took them out when reorganizing and never put them back in. I think I broke in to cold sweat. I had to go in to the garbage, take out her old diaper and put it back on her. I felt like the worst mother in the world! Would if her diaper had had poop in it?! I would have had to stuff her onsie with paper towels. How terrible was it for Sadie to have a cold wet diaper put back on her clean little bottom? Poor thing couldn't tell me. Cathy ran down to the local drug store and bought me a pack of diapers so all in all, the worst thing that happened is my motherhood confidence was a little shaken. I told Leah what happened and she said she always keeps a bag of diapers and wipes in her car for such emergencies. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Saturday two friends from work, Karla and Traci, visited me and brought yummy food, lots of stories and laughs. Then the Nina, Dan and Amara show arrived and we did our usual Saturday routine--food, movie, diapers, bottles, dog walking, etc.
Today my Aunt and her partner Sara came out to West Marin and we had breakfast at the Two Bird Cafe. My cousins Whitney and Patricia came over aftewards and we visited for awhile. Well, at least everyone visited and I used the opportunity to putter about my house and organize things and do laundry while Sadie slept in someone else's arms. It's funny how these things become a pleasure to do because it's rare I can just do a sink full of dishes uninterrupted or three loads of laundry or go through all my mail at once. These stupid little chores are like exotic activities compared to how I usually spend my day. I need to get Sadie used to sleeping somewhere else besides my arms--maybe I'll work on that next month--she's just too cute right now to try any harder than I already am, which isn't at all!
The only other big news is that spring has finally sprung out here in West Marin--thank God. All the cherry trees are in bloom and our yard is covered in little white petals. Looks like it snowed. Most of our plants we had planted for our Wedding in August didn't survive last winter's frost, so we will have to do some major replanting soon. I need color out here to cheer me up. Thank God for the Camellia tree.
Pics Above:
1. Family portrait under the Camellia tree
2. Nina, Hannah and Sadie at the Two Bird
3. Me at the Two Bird--photo really show the loss of eyelashes....sigh.
4. Our back yard showing the first sings of spring!
5. My cousins Whitney and Patricia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm happy to see you out and about. It seems like you have more energy. This motherhood thing is starting to be more natural.

amber {daisy chain} said...

Hi Ro! You sound crazy busy, I'm glad your energy is better and that you've been out and about more. I'm looking forward to seeing your garden in bloom, nothing like petals and sweet flowers to brighten a day. Sadie just looks too cute, I can't wait to see her again, it's been forever, really. We get home from Hawaii tomorrow and I'm pretty sure you have a chemo appointment, but I'd love to come over this weekend for a visit and to make some dinner. oh, and about forgetting the diaper - being a mom is one big lesson, and it's a really great journey of learning & loving, so don't worry about it!