Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Doctor Visits





Hi All,
So, I had my appointment with the actual plastic surgeon on Monday. Thanks again to my sister Hannah who comes every Sunday and spends the night and then helps on out Monday by taking care of Sadie. It's a lucky coincidence all these appointments are scheduled for Monday because I can zip in to the city without worrying about packing up the baby. I felt a wee bit guilty driving over the bridge because it was such a beautiful day and I got myself a Soy Chai Latte and I was listening to Feist and the window was down and the air smelled so good and I wasn't white knuckling it because there wasn't a newborn in the backseat. I never thought I would be looking forward to a doctor appointments to get a break from the routine of my life in the little cabin in the woods--not that I don't love that baby--but I am sure all moms know what I mean.
Anyway, back to the surgeon. After waiting a full hour and a half in the reception area (thankfully the view from UCSF on Parnassus is amazing and I was able to text my friend Cathy at work for a long time so I wasn't too peeved--I am getting sick of waiting for doctors) I finally meet with the famous Dr. Foster who, along with Laura Esserman, will remove my breasts and give me a new pair. Again, the irony. I had some questions answered. For example, I didn't understand why I needed expanders put in after the initial surgery for a month before the final implants when I have NO desire to get breasts any bigger than my current size. Turns out because I am getting a mastectomy (as opposed to a regular breast augmentation surgery) they are removing all the tissue and most importantly blood vessels from my breasts. If they put in implants right away there wouldn't be a strong enough blood supply to feed the skin and the skin may die. Gross. The expanders slowly get my body used to sending more blood through the vessels left behind. I finally learned why I was told that because I have Lupus I couldn't get implants. It's only been in the last two years that the FDA has realized implants do not cause an immune response. For a while silicone implants were taken off the market because of this, but now they are back on and just in time. Lucky me. I am choosing silicone (instead of saline) because they feel and look more natural. Also, I will be getting them 'lifted' and am wondering if the one good thing out of all of this is that I can finally wear halter and spaghetti strap dresses?
I also learned it's only been in the last five years that they have perfected the skin sparing surgery I will be getting. They used to take all the breast tissue and skin with a mastectomy, but they realized that breast cancer isn't skin cancer so now they spare the skin (duh! I feel sorry for the woman who went through what I am going through 20 years ago). And finally, the only reason woman choose the transflap surgery I blogged about earlier is because, by using their own fat, there is no chance they will have any problems with their breasts in the future--meaning no pain, no scarring, no infection. However, the transflap is MAJOR surgery and has a two month recovery period and once it's done--it's done. Meaning if in twenty years they wish they had smaller or bigger boobs--they can't do anything about it. And, worse, if they are lumpy and look weird, oh well. It's a permanent surgery. With implants, if I decide I don't like them in a few years, I can change them. And, if I do have some weird response and have pain or an infection, they can take them out. I can always do the transflap when Sadie's older and isn't insistent on spending almost every moment of her life in my arms. With the implants, total recovery should be more like a month compared to two months or more. Phew!

I like Dr. Foster. He is very mellow. Took his time. Drew me some pictures. We had a funny moment where he asked me to undress from the waist down and then said he would be right back, but then realized the nurse didn't leave a gown and was going to go get one and I told him I was over the gown and that my breasts were officially not a private part anymore so he might as well save some time. I mean what is it about the doctor leaving the room while you take your shirt off and put on that stupid open from the front gown that salvages your dignity? Especially when what they need to do is pull and push your breasts around while hemming and hawwing about where they will cut and sew?

That same day we had a pediatrician appointment for Sadie. Little girl is getting big. She weighs 11 pounds 11 ounces and has grown 2 inches in length. Her head is also 2 inches bigger. The doctor said her skin looked great. She tracked with her eyes in the right way and in general got a clean bill of health. The doctor did try and tell us we need to start sleep training her to sleep alone and that she should be sleeping at least 6 hours at night. Right now, Sadie gives us 2 hours before she wants to eat. I can't imagine 6! She's just two months old. I think the doctor is pushing it. Also, Greg and I like sleeping with her. She's such a little bundle. I hope I don't regret it, but I think we are going to keep her in our bed for another month and then see how it goes.

So, pictures above are:
1: My sister Hannah and Sadie--and she knows why I am posting this one.
2. What I think is a pretty funny family portrait (sans Frida of course). We're starting Sadie out early by watching Bill Maher so she will be sure to agree with our political leanings.
3. Me and Sadie during one of her middle of the night feedings. From my face, I would say it's around 4 AM.
4. My 11 pound 11 ounce chunky monkey. So cute.

3 comments:

amber {daisy chain} said...

Is that red heair I'm seeing on not-so-little-anymore Sadie?? Can't wait to see her agin, and glad to read about your visits!

sara said...

the chunky monkey is so adorable!!! is she eating lasagna or what?!

Rosalie said...

I told you guys she had red hair!
In the sun, it's coppery.
From photos I was a strawberry blonde, and I think Greg was too.
As long as her uncle Dan doesn't call her a Ginger, I will be Ok.
xo
Ro