Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Hannukah

Hi Everyone,
So I'm Jewish. As my Aunt Karen said more accurately, Jew-ish. Meaning, I am not a practicing Jew unless you count making Matzoh ball soup whenever there's a Jewish holiday out of some weird guilty obligation, which I suppose is kind of Jewish of me. But I also do it because it's yummy. When my mom was alive, being Jewish was more a part of my life. My dad's not Jewish, not quite sure what he is, or was before he joined the religion of hippie as a young man, but this allows me to tell one of my favorite childhood anecdotes. Apparently, when asked what religion I was by some adult, me, as a small child, answered, 'Half Jewish, and half regular'.

The Jewish part of me was special, different, unique, plus it let me get out of school some bonus days during the year. We always celebrated Christmas big in my family (even the totally Jewish side) and to a smaller extent Hannukah. Christmas was big presents and Hannukah was eight days of school necessities wrapped in white tissue paper, like scotch tape, pens, or socks and undies. Eventually we just stopped doing Hannukah and it was all Christmas.

So, on Sunday my Aunt's girlfriend Sara, whose all Jewish, had all us over for a real Hannukah party with the latkes and the menorah.



For the first time (that I can remember), I played that driedle game, which would have captured my interest longer if we were playing with something other than pennies.




Regardless, that didn't stop Nina's competitive sprit (though I think the only 100% non-Jew there, Dan, won the game, of course).



Here's Sadie playing her own version of Driedle, meaning she's wondering if she can fit it in to her mouth or not.




Mainly it was fun to hang out as a family because regardless of your religion, this is what this time of year is all about.







In other holiday news, I recently spent a chilly winter day at Susannah's house with Amber and Mollee and our kids making Christmas cookies.



...well actually, they made Cookies and Sadie and I watched. Well, I watched and Sadie fell in love with Zoey's bear chair...



..and was generally super cute as usual.





Not sure how I am going to raise Sadie when it comes to this time of year. I'll just take it one year at a time. For example, this year, I had to buy the smallest tree on the lot so we could place it up on our console table away from her curious little fingers.




...not the best picture, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas, and is having a Happy Hannukah or just enjoying the season.

Love,
Rosalie

4 comments:

Petunia Face said...

It would appear that my plan backfired: putting the heart stickers on my blemishes. Because they just look like bigger, more colorful pimples.

'Tis the Season!
Happy Ish To You!
Love,
Susannah
(50% WASP/50% Southern Baptist)

Rosalie said...

hah! I forgot about your sticker face. That was funny.

sara said...

what a thrill to have our hanukah party so memorialized ! and your christmas eve extravaganza (crab & lasagna) makes that 'regular' part pretty appealing.
from your all-irregular jew aunts
sara & karen

Megan said...

You're such a lovely writer, Rosalie. Best wishes for a Happy New Year!