Monday, February 25, 2008

Update for Update's Sake




Hi All
Got my MRI results. Good news is there isn't a tumor in my right breast--I hadn't really thought there was, but it's always nice to hear it officially. The tumor I do have in my left breast measured under 1 cm with the MRI which is down from 7 cm that it originally measured at when I got a mammogram. So, sort of what we already knew. The big test is the PET scan I am getting the day after tomorrow. This will tell me if the cancer has spread anywhere else. Of course I would have gotten this test done as soon as I was diagnosed, but couldn't because I was pregnant. So, we are doing things a little out of order. Actually, even if the cancer had spread to somewhere else in my body the fact that my tumor in my breast has reacted so well to the chemo means whatever was hanging out somewhere else has probably been killed which means I may never know if it spread. And, not until I have surgery will we know for sure if lymph nodes were involved though I am fairly sure they are because my doctor felt some that were swollen. I have been telling myself they were swollen because I had a mild infection after my initial biopsy. But again, I am the same person that told myself for months that the huge lump in my breast was a swollen milk duct so I really can't trust me can I?
Other than that, things aren't great. I think my immune system has finally succumbed to all the chemicals and has left me high and dry with a bad cough, runny nose, aches and pains and now a lovely eye infection. I am thinking the eye infection actually started because I lost my eyelashes. You need those things! They sort of keep things out of your eyes and gives tears direction.
So now I have no hair on my head and no eyelashes and for all those wondering about other hair on my body (cheeky people), yes that had mostly gone too and guess what?! You need it. For like pee direction. Maybe this is too much information for some of you, but my life is an open book--so, this is what I have learned: pubic (hate that word) hair on a woman sort of helps direct pee down and without it, your urethra sort of naturally sends it out. So last week my sister Hannah, who spends every Sunday night here at my house with Sadie on the couch so that me and Greg can get a proper night sleep, comes out of the bathroom and tells me that I need to tell Greg to aim better at the toilet when he pees in the middle of the night. I had to tell her it was ME! So embarrassing.
Speaking of Hannah. Thank God she was here today. First of all she is the total Baby Whisperer. Sadie is always so calm and relaxed in Hannah's arms. She has this humming trick thing she does--really works. She helped me out by holding the baby, getting me to eat something other than tapioca pudding and Jello-O and being my partner on a walk with Sadie and Frida. I can't walk them alone because Frida pulls and barks at dogs and is general nightmare--though I LOVE her--she is driving me crazy. She threw up a big ball of baby wipes last night. What makes a dog eat wipes?!
My favorite part of the Hannah visit is when she comes in to our bedroom in the morning with Sadie and then we snuggle with the baby and Hannah snuggles with Frida which is pretty funny because not long ago Hannah wasn't a fan of my dog and now hanging around more than usual she is finally seeing why I love her so much--of course until we go on a walk with her.
Okay--must go to bed.
Thanks for reading.
Love,
Rosalie

1 comment:

Karen Ludwig said...

Wonderful picture of you and your two babies!
What a joy to see you all together on the road again.

Whatever news is revealed by the scan, we're all together in it and here for you and your burdens
will be lightened. One foot in front of the other.
One paw in front of the other. Sadie's really growing and Frida came home and you have a big family who will surround you with all you need.
xxxx
Auntie K.