Thursday, November 27, 2008

I Got Showered

Hi Everyone,
So most everyone knows about me being diagnosed with breast cancer in my seventh month of pregnancy. And because of that, I did not get a baby shower. Well, that's not entirely true. I did get showered by all my work friends where we gathered at my boss's house and I got some beautiful presents and there was the little baby table decorations and I think some pink balloons and a real cute invitation made by one of my coworkers that I still have posted on my bulletin board at work.

It's got a picture of me, pregnant, with all this hair piled up on my head. Without any idea that not only was I carrying a 5 pound fetus in my uterus, but a seven centimeter tumor in my left breast. This is the same picture I use for my About Me part of this blog. That picture, or rather when that picture was taken, feels like years ago. Years.

So cancer. Kind of a joy kill. And this, plus the fact that I had to start chemo while pregnant and get induced a month early meant any shower plans were curtailed. And even though my friends tried to come up with a date and bring the shower idea back, I just couldn't see myself sitting, the center of attention, all bald and pale, no appetite, with mouth sores and tubes hanging out of my breasts draining yellow fluid opening presents and squealing, 'So CUTE!' over and over again. Plus, I had the kid already and hence had already bought all the accoutrements necessary in taking care of the kid or been given gifts sporadically already. So. No shower. Until last weekend.

It started when my friend Khalila came to visit me in the hospital when I had that nasty breast infection and I vented about how cancer had ripped me off of so many of the beautiful things about being a new mom. Yet, when I type that out I realize how being a new mom saved me from wallowing in the pity of having cancer. So there you go. The beauty of life and it's little surprises right there. So anyway, a few weeks ago I got an email from Khalila about the shower and then an evite and we were on.

So, one big THANK YOU to my friend K (who even though she drives a super mommy mobile does not let that stop her from rocking sexy heels and leopard print. This girl has always, and will always, turn heads).



And to her beautiful mommy Sundara who hosted the event at her appropriately sunny home and who I have always felt a special connection.



Not only does she remind me of my mom, but at times, in those formative teenage years, I wished she was my mom...because she wore cuter clothes and cooked better food. Sorry, but it's true! I still wish I had those suede red Azzedine Alaia lace up ballet flats she gave me. And, the first time I ever had pine nuts in a salad was at her house in seventh grade. A whole new world of food was opened up to me then and I never looked back.

And of course, to all my awesome friends...



...who were so there for me during some pretty rough times, and pulled it out again to give me such a special day...








..and to my sisters of course...



No. That picture wasn't taken at the shower. That's at Nina's classroom a few weeks ago, but I didn't get a good (flattering) shot of my kin at the party and I would have heard it from one of them if I didn't include a shout out and a photo.


...Sadie says thank you too.



Even though she sort of lost it at the end. She means it. You know, in her own special baby way.



Phew! Now I know why you have the shower before the baby is born....



Love,
Rosalie

2 comments:

Dianne said...

You deserve so many happy moments. Glad they did this for you!

I'd rather be a bridesmaid said...

i'm so sorry i couldn't be there. stupid job! i'm glad you finally had a lovely shower. xo