Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oh Yeah, I had Breast Cancer

Hi Everyone
So, as the day to day activities of being a mom and wife and owner of a dog and home (that's my sense of responsibility, in that order) and all the stress and worry about keeping my job crowd my mind, I sometimes I forget I am a breast cancer survivor. Yesterday I ran in to an old friend from high school and he didn't recognize me at first, seeing as I have had long hair my whole life, not counting the time I wanted to look like Pat Benatar in the sixth grade, and the time I chopped it all off in eighth grade when my dying grandmother took one look at me and asked where all my curls went--yeah, cutting it all off didn't exactly bring the curls back, only made me look like an even more awkward thirteen year old. Anyway, the point is, it took me a moment to remember why I had short hair.
While I was super sick, a photographer who was doing her thesis on breast cancer survivors, in a round-a-bout way, learned of my situation and came out to my house with all her equipment and took some pretty amazing photos. I just got a packet in the mail of the photos she took. Some of them were hard to look at. The one of just Sadie, of course, is now on my wall.



So cute.

I didn't know what to do with the others. Of me, bald, skin on the bottom of my feet shredded. Bury them somewhere like the ostrich burying its head in the sand? Move on. Your alive. That kind of idea? And then I thought. No way. That's a part of who I am. And even though now I am fighting other battles and worried about other things, I cannot forget this one. So, I framed it and added it to the rest of framed photos.



And sometimes, I glance over at the photo and I don't recognize myself. Who is that, I think. Not quite sure. Not me anymore really. But, whoever she is, she amazes me.

Her entire project is pretty amazing. Please take a look. Sometimes, I do, just to remember. In this time of useless worry about being keeping my job and my house and all the superficial 'stuff' that goes along with having money, her images ground me in an amazing way and remind me what's important and who I am.

Love,
Rosalie

5 comments:

Karen Ludwig said...

YOU GO GIRL.
You amaze and inspire.
Love,
Auntie K.

Unknown said...

Whoa! Deep! That all really happened. Love you!

Unknown said...

ah...ro...that made me cry.
it seems so long ago...thank God :)

beautiful, beautiful pictures...display them proudly girl!

LoSan said...

her photos tell an amazing, intimate story...you and Sadie, and of course Frida, are beautiful. I was really moved.

Great Aunt LynnWe said...

Ro, you are entirely awesome and I am proud to be your cousin. That beautiful little Wren-girl has a mother with strength and grace and poetry in her voice. All my love, Lynn (your 3rd cousin, once removed...)