Monday, February 4, 2008

I miss my hair


I really do. In weird ways I miss my hair. I miss that I would have to clean the stupid shower drain of all my hair after every shower. I miss the warmth it provided to my head, especially now because I think it's like 20 below out here in Forest Knolls. I miss all the pretty smelling products I used. I had good hair. People complimented my hair. I liked how it was the perfect mixture of my mom's Brillo pad hair (well, it's true, even she called it that) and my dad's scant thin hair--not to thick and crazy, but not wimpy and flat. Without my hair, I don't know where my face ends and my head begins. Without my hair, I have one extra thing to think about before I leave the house--how to cover this head--because even if it was warm outside and I opted to go out bare, I am sure I would get the stares--the 'does she have cancer or is she trying to make a serious statement?' stare.
There is really only one good thing about having no hair. Showering. Seriously, when I had hair, showering was a chore. There was a list of things I needed to do for my hair. Brush out the knots. Shampoo without making more knots. Condition to manage the knots. Comb through the conditioner to avoid post shower knots. Tie that dumb towel turban around my head and balance it there for at least fifteen minutes to absorb the most amount of water possible before I again combed through my wet hair. And, if this was a night time shower, I would have to come up with a creative way to sleep on my wet head without getting my pillow sopping wet (usually a towel which would end up bunched up against my face leaving me with crease face the next morning). If this was a morning shower, my long hair would usually be put up in a clip and when I got home, I would let it down and it would still be wet! I had some serious hair.
Now, when I shower, I don't have to do any of this. I don't have to shave my legs and armpits either. I just have to stand under the warm water and soap up a bit and that's it. It's freeing and it's relaxing. I really look forward to showering. I take a shower every day whereas before, I hate to admit, I didn't.
But, I still miss my hair.
Love,
Rosalie

8 comments:

Karen Ludwig said...

Yeah, HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW.
Lucky for you you have such a pretty punim!
(jewish for face).
Love,
Your Auntie Karen

karey m. said...

i feel for you. i really do.

when my sister lost her hair, one woman told her she looked "so beautiful...like ghandi."

what the?!

and then there was the winner who complained about her bad haircut while my bald sister was puking up her chemo. ugh!

thanks for opening up your site to us all. you're beyond inspiring to me.

Anonymous said...

Um yeah. I complained about my bad haircut to you AND I asked you what needed at the drugstore before I came over. Soap? Magazines? Shampoo? SHAMPOO?! DUH Susannah! DUH! DUH! DUH!
I miss your hair for you but the one thing I don't miss is how in meetings you would absentmindedly pick stray strands off your clothes and watch them slowly waft to the floor.
But your hair will grow back so I guess I have that to look forward to again. Yeah, and I guess I will owe you some shampoo.

Erin said...

You did have beautiful hair. And you will again. In the meantime, you and Sadie kind of have matching heads, which is very cute! :)

amber {daisy chain} said...

You look HOT in this picture. Oh, and hair grows back, but I know you miss it. I like how you told me yesterday that you didn;t know where your face ended and your head began. xo

Lyla said...

Hey Rosalie - I've been meaning to write you since you started this blog - it's such a great way for those of us on the periphery to stay in the know without bugging Amber everyday! Sadie is so beautiful - congratulations! That last picture just about melted my heart. And though I'm sure you miss your hair, what first struck me about those early posts was how incredible your bone structure and teeth are - and how I hadn't ever noticed them when you had all that hair in your face! So, without sounding trite, I really do think you look beautiful bald - oh my god, it sounds like i have a crush on you! Well, okay, just a wee one - on your honesty, strength and openness. Wow, that sounds hokey...but it's true! I look forward to checking in on Ramblin Rose every day. And the baby pix are just icing on the cake!

Rosalie said...

Thanks Lila and to everyone else who thinks I look better bald...I wish I agreed. One thing for sure is it's less work and with a new baby--I guess that's a good thing!
xo
Ro
ps: I wish I could get Greg to stop asking me if I still hate Superman (get it? Lex Luthor?)

cd said...

Has no one mentioned Kojak? I guess you're too young for that... hair is a very personal thing, and yours is spectacular, so I can totally understand why you miss it! Wondering if it will grow in straight?!? Sadie probably thinks you're trying to match her hairdo right now! Six months from now, lots of hair, no cancer, a beautiful little toddling girl.
love.