Friday, February 8, 2008

My Newborn Daughter Has More Hair Than Me



Not that I am going to fill an entire blog message about the obvious--that Sadie does have more hair than me, but still, it makes for a nice title, doesn't it?
I had my fourth chemo treatment yesterday. Picture above is in the waiting room before I met with my oncologist. It was a good appointment. My tumor has again shrunk. Last time it was around 2.5 cm, and now it's 1.5 cm. Getting chemo wasn't bad either. I got a private room again and Greg and I took serious advantage of the bed (No! Not that way!) and took a nap together while we waited for my chemo prescription to arrive from the pharmacy. It changes every time because of my weight loss (another 12 pounds since I was last there--again, normally this would make me happy, but I have a feeling it isn't 'normal. I mean it's not because I am hitting the gym!).
Yesterday was the last of the standard A/C treatment of which I have had four. The next four which will take me until early April is of Taxol. Apparently Taxol will give me more of that neuropathy I had in my feet and hands a few weeks ago--tenderness and soreness, makes it hard to walk. I am hoping it doesn't also cause the pain in my mouth. That sucked--to not be able to talk or eat. Since yesterday I feel like I am in a waiting room--waiting to find out if the same side effects will visit me again. The doctors told me that the third treatment is always the worst--and it was. The idea is that the first two treatments don't really cause serious damage because the body is in shock and doesn't know how to react to the chemicals. However, by the third all hell breaks loose--which it did. But, then when you get hit with the fourth (which was yesterday) your body has learned a thing or two and you doesn't get as affected. I am hoping, really hoping because it has felt GREAT to be myself again.
Just today my neighbor Linda came over and watched Sadie while I took Frida on a walk, just the two of us. Something I haven't done since the end of December. The sun was shining and Frida was so happy to be getting some undivided attention. I started on the flat streets (of which there are few in Forest Knolls) and then dared to climb a few hills. Then this evening, Greg realized he forgot to pick up some prescriptions at Longs and I OFFERED to drive over the hill and pick them up for him. This is a big deal because I HATE Longs and not just because I was lectured by the manager when I was twelve years old after being caught shoplifting during my klepto faze and told never to come back, but because the customers are so depressing. Sick people picking up medicine. Mom's dragging teenagers with required lists of school supplies. It's the place where people buy Preperation H and zit cream. I don't know--it's just an icky place. However, tonight, I actually wanted to get out and go there and I had the best time. I almost walked through every aisle. I had to pause at the end of the aisle where they sell all the hair products--skipped that one, but had a good time in a new aisle I never had use of before--the BABY aisle. They sell my brand of formula, good to know. So after picking up Greg's prescriptions, buying a trashy mag, a new toothbrush and some cotton balls I am home again from my adventure out in the real world.
Here's hoping I don't wake up with sore feet and a sore mouth because maybe, just maybe I will head out again and this time with Sadie so she knows there is more to this world than our little cottage in the woods.
Love,
Rosalie

3 comments:

Karen Ludwig said...

Thanks for taking me to Longs even though
I didn't wanna go.
I myself buy a lotta Preparation H.
What I wanna know is,
what does it prepare you for?

You're a shinning light for all of us.
xxxxx
Karen L, your aunt.

Megan said...

I LOVE going to the drug store, I just love looking at all of the products. I pick out a bunch for myself, then when I'm about to leave I tally it all up and realize it's $150 worth of crap, and go home with nothing!

Did you find anything sweet smelling for Sadie? I hope that you are feeling well today, with no side effects. I love seeing the pictures of you and the baby together.

sara said...

as the original hair farmer, i'll just say - hair is overrated. anyway, you have a good head. who knew?
so, that day was 1 i got to spend with sadie wren - she was a total angel. that treatment was also different because you came home seeming ok. sounds really weird to say, but you did. a much different homecoming than before. maybe your mom juices were flowing full force, i don't know, i just hope tomorrow's chemo is easy. obviously easy is the totally wrong word. love you, sbr