Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mastectomy Rant

So I did a chemo rant a few weeks back. You can read it here. And now, it's time for a mastectomy rant. Again, trying to concentrate on the good things. Like the fact I am CANCER FREE and that this is the last baton I have to carry in the relay race of my life. That Sadie is growing up strong and pudgy and super kissable yummy. That I have more than enough friends and family to be here with me every day bringing me food, stories, laughs and support. That I have a husband who just bestowed me with beautiful diamond earrings for my first mothers day and hasn't completely lost his mind watching his wife fight through cancer all the while his house has been infiltrated with well wishers and do gooders who invariably don't realize he too is freaked out and scared and could probably use a pat on the back every once and awhile (well Amber H realizes this and that's why she buys him orange tic tacs in case he doesn't know this).
I am really trying to do this. But, it's hard to see all of it when plastic tubes, sutured under my skin are poking out and draining fluid from my body down to bulbs that are pinned to my clothes so that I look like a science experiment on the loose. Oh yes, this is made worse by my bald head and my caved in chest. I can lift my arms, but I can't press down to open up a safety proofed bottle of pills. What's up with that? I can get the cereal down off the refrigerator, but I can't turn on the water in the shower. I can feed Sadie on a boppie, but I can't lift her to burp her. It's like we need a guide to the muscles in our upper body after surgery so we know what's what. My chest is numb, but in this queer sensitive numb way that I don't want anyone touching it, which means I can't hold Sadie. Her little legs pump and kick and then I have to push her over to somebody else and that makes me feel awful. I just want to pull her close and nuzzle her little neck. But instead, I have to watch other people feed and change her, lift her out of her crib after a nap and soothe her down for another. And it's not like these are bad people. These are the GREATEST people. Like my friend Sharen Brown and Sara Roditi who would rather hold her in their arms while she naps and I have to tell them to put her in her crib for consistency's sake (because my pediatrician told me to) and they reluctantly oblige. And Frida, Frida gets her friend Johannah (who stayed here while we were in the hospital having Sadie) come all the way out to take her on this epic hike up in to the hills of Forest Knolls, even on the hot days. She is getting better love and more attention than when I have nothing going on with me at all. But still, I sit here, hating my weird sagging compressed looking breasts, these tubes, the pain under my arms, my strange dark nipples and am worried. Worried that I won't even want to hold Sadie to my chest, because my chest will be two foreign bags of silicone and not me and I will never feel her weight, her skin, her pressure the way I did before.
Worried that yeah, I beat breast cancer, but it will come back in some other way, in my pancreas like my mom.
Worried that sure, this is all done, but would if my body rejects the implants and I have to go through this again.
Worried that in a few years, I have to make a decision about my ovaries and if surgery on my breasts is hard, imagine the recovery of a surgery that goes through the stomach to get at my reproductive parts and ripping them out?
Worried that all these people, though WONDERFUL people, taking care of Sadie means that when it's finally just me and her, she'll look at me and wonder who the hell I am.
I am spinning.
This is me spinning.
Love,
Rosalie

Happier pre-mastectomy days when I didn't know how much I was going to miss this.


The walking science experiment. About to get my bulbs drained. So much fun.

5 comments:

gbm said...

Sadie always knows who is her mom, from the sound of your voice, the smell of your skin, and the love she can feel through your enitre body. Trust me, chest or no chest, she will love your snuggles unlike any others!

Megan said...

Oh, Rosalie, it will get easier. You have had so many changes this year, and you will get used to these things, but it will take some time. Trust though, that you will adjust to the changes.

Unknown said...

You always knew your mom even though other women breast fed you on the Farm. Your mom's your mom even if you call her Linda (or Rosalie). When your muscles are back you'll be squeezing that baby wheather you can feel it or not. She won't know the difference and you will get used to it.

anniemac said...

It must be rough having everybody else get to hold and lift your baby when you can't...as loving and amazing as those other people are. So, thanks for sharing those complicated feelings. ps. I NEVER remember to give Caroline her alloted "tummy time" per day-mostly because she seems to hate it!-and because I just forget--but the pediatrician at her four month check up said "She's really holding her head up well...you must be doing the tummy time." Ha!

Unknown said...

You are a sweetheart. I appreciate your honesty so much. I will have a bilateral next Monday and I am anticipating what you are going through now. Life is still beautiful. I know life will still be beautiful and magical even when I have no real boobs anymore. Your feeling is proof of that.