Thursday, July 24, 2008

Freedom

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the responses to my home furnishings S.O.S. If you don't know what I am talking about and have an hour or so to spare, read the posting before this one.
I know there are more important things to life than a nicely furnished home. I just beat cancer. Believe me I know. But still. I would be just so much happier if I could get this place looking like what I see in my mind. I would be so much happier if my kitchen looked like this.


I just need to be more patient...

So today I took a nice (much needed) break from my little world out here. Greg stayed home with the baby and I met my friend Susannah in Berkeley for lunch. My favorite restaurant (for a lunch type outing), Tacubaya. So good. The best Tamales and Chile Rellenos. Everything on the menu is so yummy. I was giddy with excitement to be out of the house, sans baby, on my own. I drove a little less defensively without that little precious cargo strapped in the backseat. I played my music really loud, windows down without worrying about tender little eardrums. I carried a bag that weighed under a pound, my phone, wallet and lip gloss was all I needed. So freeing. So nice. I was practically buzzing with happiness when I got to the restaurant. Since I have been on maternity leave I have met Susannah a few times, in the park in San Anselmo with our babies. We don't really talk much being constantly interrupted by Zoey running off giggling gleefully as Susannah runs after her before she reaches the street, or Sadie needing a bottle, a diaper change or a cuddle. So sitting across from each other with nothing ese to do but talk and eat was a little weird. Great, but weird.

Here's Zoey and Sadie giving each other a little hug on one of those park days. Zoey loves Sadie as long as she is in my arms and not her mom's.



Susannah had to go back to work and I was left on my own which hasn't happened for such a long time. I had no idea what to do with myself. Greg called and wanted to know when I would be home. I could hear the little morsel fussing in the background and I said, 'I don't know. Whenever I get home'. Yeah. I was milking it a little. This freedom. The right to have it. It's funny how you don't realize all the things you are going to miss when you have a kid. Like only needing a wallet, your keys, a phone and lipgloss. When did that become a luxury?! Or going to the bathroom without dragging a stroller in to the stall, or worse perching your infant on your lap while you pee (has anyone else had to do this?!). Not that I am saying Greg can't handle being with the baby on his own.
He did quite well.
As you can see here.
This is what I came home to.



Looking at this, it makes me wonder why I ever left.
Love,
Rosalie

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Your heart is in the right place. Enjoy the freedom whenever you can get it. It's good for your health and your heart.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I gotta tell you, that is one cute baby!

Unknown said...

It's important to do stuff like that because, according to Katie Tuttle, it brings you back to who you were before children and before marriage. You go back to the person you were when your husband was drawn to you. That's what she says about hanging out with your girlfriends. And then the husband stays with the kids and sees how much work it is and the get a glimpes of your daily life.

That's what I hear.

Megan said...

That Katie, she's a smart one.