Monday, July 21, 2008

Home Furnishing Madness

Hi Everyone (This is a long one. But it was cathartic. If you get all the way through it, thank you.),
So being home on maternity leave has made me a bit obsessive about my home and all the things I hate about it. We bought this house three years ago and just sort of threw what we had wherever it fit. We didn't even do anything to the house, like painting, curtains, new fixtures, easy stuff like that. When I worked all the time this stuff didn't really bother me. I was happy just to be home. But now, all the extra hours within these walls have made me a bit wacky.
It's possible that my wackiness is compounded by the fact that I need to feel in control of something. If it can't be my health, then by God it can be my furniture (or some such psychology). My step Aunt Deborah visited me the other day and I mentioned this problem I am having and she had some good thoughts about how everything is so accessible to our generation, it's hard to not always want more, get more, obtain more and always be looking for more instead of just being happy with what we have. But I think what is really making me itchy with the urge to redecorate all the time are the blogs I read. Even though I started mine to chronicle my cancer, to keep my friends and family informed, to garner support, wisdom, feedback and a cyber shoulder to cry on, what I actually read most aren't health related dealing-with-breast-cancer blogs, but interior design blogs. I read them a lot. Like every day, at least thirty of them. Some favorites: Decorno, SF Girl by The Bay, Habitually Chic, Elements of Style, Inside the Loop...I could go on and on here.
I actually didn't even know about blogging or blogs until a blogger posted something about my place of employment almost three years ago, specific to what I do, and our marketing department forwarded me the link because they thought I would be interested. That blog was Oh Happy Day. Soon Jordan was my secret best friend and I would get mad if I didn't find a new post to read daily. Ah! The pressures on a popular blogger. I feel that now, not because I am popular, but because my blog has succeeded very well in one thing. It is the way I connect with some distant family members and they want info--but mainly about Sadie (and I don't blame them). So here's some photos of her to satisfy them. This is the standard look she always gives the camera. I am lucky if I ever get a smile.



This was taken on a super hot day last week at Nina and Dan's. We went swimming earlier to cool off. Here she is hanging out under her little baby shade tent. See same look.



And because these same family members would also appreciate a little Amara action, here she is on that same day doing her own thing, keeping cool.



And here she is with her beautiful mama.



We went and visited Hannah the other day at her salon in the city. Notice the strapless dress? Yeah, I can wear these now that my breasts are just skin covering tupperware--but I am digressing here. See my face? I am pleading with Greg to take the picture already. He was trying to wait until Sadie smiled. Again, the babe does not give it up for the camera.



Unless of course you are holding her over your head and making a fool of yourself.



Sadie is amazing. She sleeps through the night, from 8 PM until 7 AM every morning (I am probably jinxing myself by typing this out) which always amazes other moms. She started eating solid food. She sits up. She grabs and bats at toys and makes great gurgling sounds with her drool and lots of little funny mewing and high pitched squeals which make Greg and I look at each other in shock and awe. Like Wow! She's a real person. It's a little bit scary. Here she is getting all worked up over a new toy (a gift from another blogger through a Swap that I Suwannee organized).



So these interior design blogs agitate me. They inspire me in a frenzied sort of way and all of a sudden I am up late at night perusing Craigs List and all other sorts of furniture websites like a junkie looking for a fix, ignoring how my tailbone feels like it's growing roots in to the chair, to find the perfect dining table. Or buying lampshade upon lampshade and returning them one by one in the attempt to obtain matching bedside lamps for our bedroom. I even bought a bed from Pottery Barn a few weeks ago that I didn't even really like (because it was affordable--relatively--and had storage, something seriously lacking in our little cottage in the woods) and then when it hit me how crazy this was, to buy something I don't even like, just for the satisfaction of buying something, I called their customer service and cancelled the order. When they told me it was already on the way from their distribution center, I made up some lie that I had to move and my new place didn't have room for the bed because I was so ashamed of my wishy washy impulsiveness. I also did this with two bedside tables. Yikes.
When I take Sadie on walks, all I do is daydream about finding the perfect rug for our living room that covers more than the current one because soon Sadie will be crawling and trying to walk. Before I thought our hardwood floors looked vintage and rustic, but now all I foresee is digging splinters out of tender little palms and chubby knees.



I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a rug that doesn't cost a crazy amount of money and that both Greg and I agree on.
See that's the other problem. Greg. Not to pinpoint and/or stereotype half of the world's population, but aren't men (straight men) supposed to not really care about the home's decor? I thought as much until I met Greg. He cares. A lot. And he is getting bugged by me. I don't blame him. I think he has put up with me until now because he knows I am obsessing as a way to distract myself from having cancer. I thought I found the perfect dining table a few weeks ago off of Craigs list. The dining table is important because I am the one in the family that hosts the Thanksgiving and the Christmas and when I am feeling ambitious, the Passover too (my family is religiously mixy. We do it all). It needed to be small because our house is tiny, but it needed to get bigger for when the extended family comes over. Anyway, I made him go pick it up in Santa Rosa on his way home from work (in Healdsburg) and boy was I wrong. Never buy anything sight unseen (or from a crappy photo). It is so not what I want. This was stupider than the Pottery Barn fiasco. The table has been sitting in our front walk way ever since gathering dust, fading in the sun. An every day sad reminder of my foolish impulsiveness and self inflicted urgency to refurnish our entire house before I have to go back to work.



But it didn't stop me. Soon I was making plans with a woman in Mill Valley to look at another table and before I knew what was happening, it was in the back of my car and I was heading home. Greg hates it. But I like it. It has three leaves, so it can sit ten people if need be. What do you all think? Am I crazy?



I know the chairs are all wrong with it. But what chairs would look good? I already wasted half a day borrowing a chair from Beach House Style to show Greg (a store worth checking out if you live in the Bay Area). See. I am getting better. I am showing things to him before I make the purchase. He didn't like them. Sigh. I had to drive it back. I know they weren't perfect, but I was willing to settle because it was a set of six. I am so desperate.

See secretly I am hoping that there are some interior design bloggers out there who have found my blog through the randomness of blogging and can help me out here.

What is one to do when they feel that frenetic urge to just purchase everything and anything to satisfy the craving of having a home fully furnished?

And what the hell should I do about this fireplace?



I loved it when we moved in. So rustic. So cozy in the winter. But now, we feel guilty lighting a fire, putting all that smoke in to the air. Most of the houses out here were originally summer houses, so they don't have central heating. In the winters when I drive down over the hill in to the valley, you should see the blanket of smoke. Makes your lungs hurt just to look at it. In this picture it looks like the witch's furnace from some scary fairy tale. To change it at all would take a sledgehammer, and a lot of money. So that's right. That's a dog bed you see there. This is what our fireplace is used for now.



And these lamps? The greens on the shade and base don't match. But I still like them. Have I lost my mind? Do I just like them because liking them means I can stop looking for lamps?



Here's what really drives me crazy. Look. These are ugly towel bars. We don't even use them. Above is the hardware for a glass shelf. They need to be removed and the holes filled and the wall painted. Think I have time to do that? Nope.





And see this painting (Yes, Frida is allowed on the sofa).



We bought it at an antique store because we had just adopted her and named her Frida after the artist, who we love, but do we love her that much to hang a copy of her 'Me and My Parrots' painting on the main wall of our living room as a sort of inside joke only we get? Wouldn't a mirror look better here? Greg doesn't think so. The man doesn't like mirrors. Our home is desperately needing mirrors to open it up. To make it look bigger. But that would mean I would have to find a mirror we agree on. So much work.

And check out this wackiness. Look at this ginormous TV.




Isn't the cabinet too small for it? This is all wrong, right?

And now I am totally letting it all hang out. This is the office. Look at this mess!



This is where I am sitting right now while typing. It's all arranged wrong. I love both those chairs, but what are they doing there? Nothing. That's my vacuum in the lower right corner. We don't have a utility closet to store any of that kind of stuff. We don't have closets really at all. Sigh.

We are so in need of a kitchen remodel. See this.



This is a cabinet I cannot get at. There's barely room for a trash can, much less a human being. How dumb is that?

Here's something even more dumb. While in bed, this is our view.



Nice, huh? We hardly ever turn it on. It needs to go. But then what would we do when I need to watch Project Runway and Greg wants to watch CNN? A smaller, white TV would make this all better. Like this one that another blogger already wrote about here (hence my hankering to now go out and spend $1000 to get one).

About the only room I am not totally irritated with is this one.





Which is good because this room belongs to the most important person in my life.
Here she is with me, yesterday at an oncology follow up appointment at the Breast Care Center. This was her first visit with me (well, outside my tummy). I am smiling like a freak in some sort of attempt to get Sadie to smile for the camera. Like if smiles worked through osmosis or something. As you can tell, didn't work.



Maybe I will just move in with Sadie and call it a day.

Thanks for reading my hating my house rant. Though I think I will only get responses from my friends who will tell me I am crazy and to be thankful for what I have, which is a good point. My mom didn't get her kitchen remodeled until she was fifty. She lived with a poopy brown electric stove and cabinets from the 70s and the crappiest, sticky no matter how hard you scrubbed it, linoleum floors for years. Who am I to think I should get better, right?

But seriously, if you have any advice for me at all, I would surely appreciate it.

Love,
Rosalie

PS: Oh my GOD was this the most epic posting or what? For those wondering how I do it. It took me almost three days to get this all done.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Rosalie, you look gorgeous in that last photo. I love your posts.

thekettrickfive said...

I thought I was the only one! Thanks for a few more design blogs to look for every morning when I do my blog-reading before my kids wake up. Now I'll have to sit here an extra few minutes! :0) If I could only tell you how many things I have saved up for my husband's day off for him to return b/c I bought something online and feel badly about returning it in the store. Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, JC Penney (which, by the way, has turned out a lot of winners in the decorating department, FYI). I am currently on a quest for curtains and drapes. That is...I need to cover these old windows before we get Pella out here to install new ones. We don't have an AC here in WA, and frankly really don't need one, but we got an estimate anyways (b/c I'm pregnant w/ my third and am constantly hot!) and the guy said to fix the windows before putting in an AC. That's hopeful. Anyways. We've started (thanks to the advice of my mom) doing little things like A) taking out almost everything (start clean and clutter-free). We just moved in beginning of May, so I put those boxes of frames and pictures and "stuff" straight into the basement. Then changing the paint color. I have some great colors that an interior designer wrote up for my parent's LA house. Beautiful. So I copied a little there. Then little things like fixtures. Brushed nickel in the bathrooms and kitchen and black outside (we had old gold wall sconces out front and an old gold doorbell, mailbox, etc. What a difference going all black has made)! Rugs kill me. I did find a great one for the kids' room from Penneys online...and didn't return it: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=57088&CatID=57984&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=13797e9&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CmCatId=57088|57324|57984 I want my whole house to have this on the floor. It's SO cozy and washable!! Like I'll ever throw it in the washer, but still. Two (almost three) kids and two dogs?!

Everything you get has to have storage, too. For example, the coffee table we just got is a chest. Great for toys and blankets, etc. (make sure it doesn't pinch little fingers though).

OK so I love your slipper chair in the office picture. That's what the latest has been...I need one for my bedroom. Either that or a daybed/chaise lounge for by the window in the master.

I've made a list of everything I need (ok, want) for each room. Each room has its own list, actually. That way I can feel accomplished when I check things off, like getting bud vases for the downstairs bathroom. Then again, on that list also includes things like new stainless appliances in the kitchen. Long and short term goals I suppose.

Whew...sorry for the long comment!!! I think I found your blog through Petunia Face...love it! Yours is another I check all the time for updates! :0)

Take care, and give that sweet baby a hug.

Dianne said...

You look so beautiful and healthy. Things must be going well, thank God! I read you every day and love it. Start with the decorating...it's a distraction from self and one with big rewards. God bless.

Unknown said...

Whoa Rosalie! You allow yourself to get too overwhelmed with material things. You are more than a perfect house and frankly, if you don't mind me saying, and I think since we lived together I can tell you, a perfect house is not for you unless you add on an extra room for the live-in maid. Your dream house is not a reality, it's peace you find within. I know that's lame but but I think it's true. Just give it some time, don't rush it and let it come together with things you love. Kind of like my philosophy of cleaning your closet buy what you love not what's on sale, it just fills your closet with crap! Wow an epic post gets epic comments

Rosalie said...

Oh Amber---I just KNEW you would set me straight. And you are right, patience is my problem (or lack of).
You are so missed around here. I swear, the other great thing about cancer (besides the extra time with Sadie) was your weekly visits and the floors always being clean.
Xo
Ro

i suwannee said...

oh god. now i feel overwhelmed -- just reading this! =)

let's see. we can do this.

rug - i'm a big fan of sisal, or seagrass or jute. something natural that you don't have to worry about. these are relatively inexpensive. look classic. don't get dirty. you can get one of the softer ones, with some texture and the baby can crawl on it. husband surely can agree to that.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Basketweave-Seagrass-Rug-8-x-10/47347/product.html?

http://www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODr544&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1RUGRUG&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1RUGRUG

http://www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODr543&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1RUGRUG&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1RUGRUG


if you want to go with something more graphic - here are some ideas:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Stainmaster-Nylon-Hand-carved-Mosaic-Tiles-Rug-710-x-112/3249908/product.html?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Angelique-Black-Wool-Rug-5-x-8/3285325/product.html?

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p10547/index.cfm?pkey=cprwrugall

love this - http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ravella-Iron-Medallion-Blue-Indoor-Outdoor-Rug-8-x-10/3141939/product.html?
This could possibly look awesome with your yellow sofa and chair.

for your kitchen chairs, i actually sort of like those. they have a great shape. i wonder if you threw a pretty runner, or something in the middle, white some white in it, to pull the white to the table, and then some fresh flowers in the middle. i'm thinking something a little modern for the fabric to counter the more rustic chairs and table.
the kitchen sort of connects with the living room, right? So you could do something coordinating -
if you wanted to go crazy, you could make seat cushions too. Something super simple, nothing too frou-frou. Fabric ideas:

http://www.reprodepot.com/alxzzdb.html

http://www.reprodepot.com/mk54476880.html

http://www.reprodepot.com/mddtny.html


fireplace – I don’t know. Let’s skip to the next one

lamps – they look fine. Is that your bedroom? Do they coordinate with the other stuff? I need another picture I think.

For the bathroom, you’re just going to have to do it. take the old hardware down – 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Get some spackle, and fill in the holes – 5 minutes with a piece of cardboard if you don’t have a spackling tool.

Let it dry, next day – paint over it – 10 minutes. Then you’re done. You don’t have to look at it and hate it anymore.

Onto Frida. She’s fine. But lonely. You could hang a mirror on either side of her. You could do one of those ‘gallery’ style art installments that are so popular right now. Here’s some inspiration:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_OpkfOzH-taU/SIQKgzmuhPI/AAAAAAAAC_E/UZC7fKBZr5E/s400/Picture+29.png

http://bp1.blogger.com/_OpkfOzH-taU/SHhLmq6ZjvI/AAAAAAAAC7M/rgFErhOg9W8/s1600-h/351257688_466fabcd96.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foohqwah/2659512264/

a few different mirrors: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foohqwah/2592721697/


and here are some mirrors you could put on either side of frida
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Wall-Decor/Wall-Mirrors/Decorative-Mirrors/Westbourne-Mirror/p/8501?path=1%2C2%2C1468%2C1541%2C1603&iProductID=8501

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Wall-Decor/Wall-Mirrors/Decorative-Mirrors/Fiore-Mirror/p/7848?path=1%2C2%2C1468%2C1541%2C1603&iProductID=7848

I think mirrors like this are pretty cool: http://cgi.ebay.com/Porthole-Fish-Eye-Mirror-Bombay-Company-14-Diameter_W0QQitemZ160264572580QQihZ006QQcategoryZ63618QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Victoria has a similar painting – you can check out what she’s done with hers: http://sfgirlbybay.blogspot.com/search?q=rico

Onto TV. the cabinet its on is a bit small. And maybe since it has clear doors organize the stuff on the top shelf a little more? I don’t think this is a dire situation. With a new rug and some fun stuff on the wall, you can deal with TV and cabinet for now.

The office has too many chairs in it. I wonder if you turned the desk so its facing out from the back wall, and put the chair behind it. so when you walk in, you’re looking right at the desk? And then the other two chairs might have more room out in the open?

And sadie’s room is LOVELY. Gorgeous. Just do that everywhere else!

Meril said...

r, you look fabulous. love your blog, esp the last post. i'm right there with you on the decor dilemma. let's submit this to oprah so we can get hottie nate to come wave his magic design wand.

ps, love the fireplace. maybe a cool mirror, green glass bottles, vintage stuff, texture.

Marsha said...

I had a cancer obsession too, it wasn't interior design, it was chlothes. I used to be the girl who could shop at the mall for three hours and not buy a thing. During Chemo, I once bought 7 pairs of pants in one day. So not me. But they are sure nice pants that I am happy to have. I think I just needed something to control since my health was out of control. Retail therapy, my family called it.

MrsEm said...

Who doesn't hate all their furniture and clutter every so often? I find the solution is to clean, paint and put flowers everywhere...that or have a big party that leaves the house feeling loved.

sara said...

the lampshades look fine. the greens are complementary.matching is so 1974.
i worry that jute or sisal will be too rough for a toddler.
advice i should have followed:
-big things that last: buy good stuff.(like an armoire or bed frame)
-upholstered stuff,rugs and stuff that can soil or get damaged- stick to what's inexpensive so it can be replaced.
-it's always better to have less.
and- finally- to quote my old mom:
try to create a "total effect."

robert said...

Both are very sweet..... your kids & your home too.