Thursday, September 25, 2008

She looks just like....

Hi Everyone,
Is this normal? To stare at your kid endlessly picking apart her features trying to figure out what she got from who?
I have this obsession in trying to figure out everything before it happens. And this obsession leaks in to every aspect of my life. I remember as a kid staring in to the mirror, wanting to know what I would look like all grown up. How would I change? The answer is I didn't. I look exactly the same. Just grown up.
And with Sadie, this little girl at one moment looks just like her daddy. Especially when she's grumpy and she knits her brows and pouts. And then sometimes she looks just like my dad when he was a baby, with her little nose and fair skin. And then, sometimes, in the light I think she has green eyes (though I believe they will be turning brown shortly, because they now have the colors of the fall trees, a hint of green, but mostly brown) and when this happens, she looks like my sister Hannah. She has my lips, I think, which means she has my mom's lips and this makes me happy, that she has something of my mom, because to look at her now, you would never know she is a relation. My mom had olive skin and dark brown, almost black curly hair.
Unfortunately, I never met Greg's dad, but I have seen a few pictures and I only met Greg's mom once just for a moment, but we have pictures of her as a kid and a young woman in the house. It's hard to see them in Sadie because I never got to be around them.
When I was pregnant Greg always said he didn't want her to look to much like either of us. He wanted her to be herself. And she is. A little mixture of everyone. She shifts and changes and I am giddy with anticipation on what and who she will become and then freaking out at the same time at how fast it's all going. Where did my little tiny baby go? The one that fit right in to the crook of my arm and disappeared in to my robe?



Who is this jumbo sized hunk of love that I can barely keep up with in outfits that fit her. Seriously, she's officially in the 12-18 month size and she's only 8 months! Check out this shirt riding up over little belly (taken at Hannah's salon).



One thing though--those eyes. Those sleepy, heavy lidded, does she need a nap, or did she just wake up eyes.
I think I know where she got them. I think I need to go back to the mirror and look at again at myself.



Love,
Rosalie

3 comments:

Megan said...

Your beautiful face,and the love in your eyes? Powerful. Sadie is a gorgeous baby, lucky to have two wonderful parents.

Dianne said...

I think she does have your eyes. it just isn't way obvious because the color is different. She sure is growing up fast!

Unknown said...

Hi Ro, Sadie's eyes do look green in that last photo. And you look beautiful. You look healthy, strong and happy. So good to see!!! Loving you from Santa Rosa...