Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Birthing Eve






Hi 
Tomorrow is the big day. I feel pretty prepared. But, how can anyone feel totally prepared for something that is going to change their life forever? We had our house cleaned today--which feels great. I took Frida on a walk around the neighborhood with a new appreciation for sweatshirt hoods considering it wasn't before I glanced in the mirror on the way out I remembered I am bald! I ran in to another woman with a dog and a baby in a stroller and uncharacteristically stopped her to ask her how she got her dog to be so well behaved while walking with the stroller and within five minutes she knew I had cancer, was pregnant, being induced tomorrow and freaked out. Her name was Nicki, lives in Lagunitas and did not run screaming from my presence--she even gave me her cell number so we can take baby walks together. But, she also told me her dog slept outside the first week the baby came home. Yeah, if anyone knows me and my dog, Frida is NOT sleeping outside. Then I puttered and finally got my act together to get out of the house (found a nice black wool cap) and in to Fairfax where my dad installed a new battery in my car, gave me a greasy hug and an eyeful of tears. We danced around the horribleness of everything and he made jokes about the various people driving by his mechanic shop (I think he knows everyone who lives in the town of Fairfax) and that's about as deep as it got. Nina met me there with Amara and we went to that little hippy clothing store Culture Shock on the hunt for scarves--not good. And then, I had my first and unfortunately ONLY pre-natal massage by a wonderful woman, Lois Langevin-King. I am kicking myself for not doing that every week. Felt great. Room was warm, she had great energy and I sunk right in to it. And now I am home. And kind of freaking out. So I think I will take a shower, pack my hospital bag, and watch Project Runway and act like everything is like it is all the time. Except tomorrow I am having a baby. Above are photos of the baby's room (obviously). Note the dresser without knobs. Greg took care of that while I was at the massage. So we are good now. Phew! Those pictures on the wall are from a calendar Greg got me years ago (like 8 probably) that I have been saving for my 'baby's' room every since. It's weird to see them up there just like I always imagined. Now if I can just imagine a smooth labor, a speedy recovery, no more cancer for the rest of my life, a calm dog, world peace and make it happen in that same way....
xo
Ro

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Baby Girl's room is perfect! It looks calm and cozy and cheerful and ready. I'll sit in there tomorrow and fill it with love and happy thoughts! Loving you!

amber {daisy chain} said...

the room is adorable - just as I had imagined it would be. it's all ready for that beautiful baby to come home!
xoxo

Unknown said...

I will be thinking of you today, and wishing you the best.
That baby girl is on her way to meet her mommy.

Love you.

LoSan said...

Ohh! I love the room! This is one lucky girl baby - she'll love it. Can't wait to see you and meet the new bundle o' cute!
xo-lo.

Unknown said...

freida seems to think baby's room is pretty great too. (she does know it's baby's room?)

Dave Eilert said...

I cant wait to see the new addition, lets all hope the little princess looks more like her mommy!!! (ha ha) sorry Greg.

Julie Swierupski said...

You are a real life superwoman. Baby's room is absolutely adorable. Wishing you, Greg, Freida and Baby Girl happy thoughts! I can't wait to meet the little one!

sara said...

waiting for your baby. . . loving your baby. . . loving YOU! sending warm wishes to you & greg . . . you're strong and amazing! see you both (all) soon, auntie roditi

Megan said...

Rosalie and Greg,
I can't wait to meet your baby and see you two! Baby's room looks great. I'm so glad that you're doing this blog, what a great way to keep everyone informed.

much love,
Megan

jennyc said...

Congratulations on your new arrival! I can't wait to meet her and to give you a big hug. I remember when you came to the hospital when Dean was born and how supportive and excited you were. I want you to know that I feel the same for you and your baby girl.
Love you!

Mack said...

I am a big fan of the Frida pic, she is just waiting to meet the new member... she looks calm and ready for what is next! Just like everyone else!

Judy said...

Thanks for your amazing generosity and Spirit in, not only writing this blog of your incredible but challenging journey through Recovery and Motherhood, but for allowing it to be shared with those of us who love and care about you. I stand in AWE of you....you are my current Hero. Thank you....and bring on that beautiful Baby!

Ronnie said...

Complimenti!! Sadie is perfectly perfect...I love her~and you two!

I will see you Monday.

Un grande bacioni, Ronnie

Ronnie said...

Complimenti!! Sadie is perfectly perfect...I love her~and you two!

I will see you Monday.

Un grande bacioni, Ronnie