Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Through it All...


OK, here's the funny thing about life--and a lesson in not worrying. When I got pregnant, I thought for sure it was going to be the worst thing ever on my body, my energy, my life. I was convinced because I was a bit chubby and had lupus I would have all the pregnancy problems a woman could possible have: diabetes, preeclampsia. I thought I was going to gain 50 pounds and be this sweaty waddling mess who constantly called in to work sick because I couldn't lug myself out of bed. I also thought my baby would suffer. Early on I found out I had anti-phospholipid syndrome (very common with pregnant lupus woman) which means my blood would coagulate and there was risk nourishment wouldn't get through the placenta to the baby. This was cured with a simple baby aspirin a day. Still I was sure one day I would get the sonogram results that my baby wasn't growing, that I didn't have enough amniotic fluid. I worried about this all the time. For no reason at all.
Through it all, being pregnant with Sadie has been the easiest, most natural thing my body has every done. I gained hardly any weight. She was always perfect and on track in development with how many weeks I was and though she was born early, was a total rock star right away sucking away at her first bottle of Nina's breast milk within minutes of being out of the womb. She's gone through two chemo treatments and had her first pediatrician appointment last week (picture above is when we were on the way--her first 'outing' which I would have blogged about earlier but it was also the day Frida went missing) and in the doctor's words, ' she's a keeper'. Perfect in every way.
So, for all those worried (including myself) about the chemo on Sadie. She is doing great. She's growing like crazy (she even has a little double chin). Her cheeks are filling out and she's got dimples.
All in all, it's the things we don't see coming (cancer) that can get you and rarely the things you waste so much time worrying about so the lesson I guess is to just stop worrying.
I know--easier to type than to actually do.
Love,
Rosalie

7 comments:

amber {daisy chain} said...

wise words, and one's I try to love by, but I think worry is in my genes...
you look beautiful here with Sadie, mommyhood becomes you!

Unknown said...

amen! worry & guilt... let those jewish genes go. and byw, you both look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That is a great pic of mother and daughter. I miss that little speck of a girl. Um, not you--Sadie. But I can't wait to see you both on Friday!

Karen Ludwig said...

Rosalie,
Great words from a great niece.
Great Aunt k.

Erin said...

Hi Rosalie. Found your blog through PetuniaFace (the only way I know how to find blogs :-)). Hope you don't mind me popping in. I feel a bit like a voyeur, reading about your very personal experiences while not having seen you in person since, I'm not even sure, Susannah's wedding, maybe? But while I'm here being a voyeur, I wanted to let you know how wonderful and courageous and STRONG I think you are. And for what it's worth, you look absolutely gorgeous! I agree, motherhood becomes you. Hang in there, and keep your eye on that beautiful baby girl of yours for inspiration.
Sending warm and happy thoughts your way! Erin

sara said...

from sara h
love your hat
and your insight.
worrying is not problem-solving.
real tsouris is almost always unexpected- that's why it's tsouris.

Megan said...

wow,
like I said before, you have a way with the words! I love coming here and seeing the pictures of you and reading, knowing how you are always able to find the way to your strength.

love,
Megan